Friday, July 31, 2009

[jules' pics] 7/30/2009 06:12:00 PM


baby kamikiri, originally uploaded by julesberry2001.

This is an incredibly cute baby praying mantis (kamakiri), found halfway up the wall inside our house. I wonder how old it might be - really it can be only just hatched to be so tiny. Hopefully, later in the year, I'll be able to show you how big they get.

[Now this IS macro... courtesy of James' Panasonic LX3. I artificially sharpened this image, since sitting on James' massive fingernail it shows the scale better than the shots which actually were in focus.]



--
Posted By jules to jules' pics at 7/30/2009 06:12:00 PM

7 comments:

sylas said...

Gorgeous!

I think you should submit this little guy to Cute Overload. It's a blog with regular fix of cuteness; mostly kitties or other amniotes.

But your baby here would get snapped up in a heartbeat. I'm serious. I think it would be a great idea.

James Annan said...

Having done some googling, I'm hoping to catch one again and keep it as a pet...in which case there may be more pics!

Unknown said...

so are you keeping them to tell us how big they grow!

James Annan said...

Just got another one today, not quite such a baby though. We'll keep it a little while and see how it turns out. For an insect, it's pretty amazing - seems friendly enough, walking around on our hands.

Hank Roberts said...

Wonderful. More pictures please? I'd love to see the in-focus macro shots, to compare to the sharpened one.

I think I need this camera.

Have you tried adding a closeup lens? I use a Minolta #0 closeup on a Lumix FZ5 for closer macro. But the depth of field is soooo narrow.

James Annan said...

I think the LX3 is fabulous for a point and shoot type of camera. It focusses down to 0mm (admittedly although only at wide angle) so a close-up lens probably isn't worth it.

Jules has her eyes on a macro lens for her Nikon D40 DSLR, which is clearly better, but a lot bigger and more expensive.

James Annan said...

I put another pic of the baby up on jules' photostream, specifically here. It's just on the palm of my hand with no scale indication though.